G343 INDUSTRIAL ENGINE Safety Precautions Caterpillar


Safety Precautions
`

You can do something about safety. Lack of attention to safety can result in: accidents, personal injury, reduction of efficiency and worst of all-loss of life.

Safety is basically common sense. There are standard safety rules but each situation has its own peculiarities which cannot always be covered by rules. Therefore, your experience and common sense will be your best guides to safety. Watch for safety hazards. Correct deficiencies promptly.

Use the following safety precautions as a general guide to safe operation.

1. Never adjust or repair a machine while in operation.
2. All fans, shafts, pulley, etc. must have guards.


HEAT SINK (SR 4)

3. Do not wear loose clothing around machinery.
4. Remove tools and electrical cords from the engine before starting.
5. Keep the engine room and floor area clean.
6. Store oily rags in metal covered containers.
7. Never store flammable liquids near the engine.
8. Do not smoke around batteries. Hydrogen gas generated by charging batteries is explosive. Keep batteries in a well ventilated area.
9. Observe NO SMOKING signs.
10. Be sure the engine room is properly ventilated.
11. Always disconnect and tape the ground battery lead before working on the electrical system.


HEAT SINK (SRCR)

12. All electrical equipment must be grounded according to local building codes.
13. Be sure the remote starting system is inoperative when the engine is being worked on. Disconnect the starter from the start switch.
14. Never operate a diesel engine with the governor linkage disconnected. Human reactions are not fast enough to control the fuel rack.
15. Do not work on electrically "hot" equipment.
16. Insulate all connections and disconnected wires.
17. Check all connections periodically for tightness and insulation.
18. Always disconnect the engine starter circuit when working on the generator.
19. Do not touch the heat sink on the generator regulator when the generator is running. It is electrically "hot".
20. Do not use carbon tetrachloride fire extinguishers. Fumes are toxic and the liquid has a deteriorating effect on insulation.