Diagnostic information for the Machine ECM is accessed via the Cat® Electronic Technician (Cat® ET) Service Tool. Diagnostic information can also be accessed by using the Operator Monitor Display.
Connections for the Communication Adapter 3 and Cat® Electronic Technician (Cat ET) Service Tool
The components that are needed to use the Communication Adapter III and Cat ET to determine diagnostic codes are listed:
(1) Current version of Cat® ET software
(2) 317-7484 Communication adapter Gp
(3) Service diagnostic cable
Cat® ET is a software program used to access, view, monitor and sometimes change data that a particular ECM uses to control a machine system. The service technician can use the Cat® ET to perform maintenance on the machine. Some of the options that are available with the Cat® ET are listed below:
- View the active diagnostic codes and logged diagnostic codes. See Troubleshooting, "Using Cat® Electronic Technician (Cat ET) Service Tool to Determine Diagnostic Codes".
- Viewing the active event codes and logged event codes
- View the status of parameters.
- Clear active diagnostic codes and clear logged diagnostic codes
- Perform calibrations of machine systems.
- Program the ECM (Flash) with the "WINflash" program. See Troubleshooting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Flash Program".
- Print reports.
The following list contains some of the diagnostic functions and programming functions that are performed by the Cat ET Service Tool.
- The failures of the ECM system are displayed.
- The status of most of the inputs and the outputs are displayed.
- The settings for the ECM are displayed.
- Display the status of the input and output parameters in real time.
- Display the clock hour of the internal diagnostic clock.
- The number of occurrences and the clock hour of the first occurrence and the last occurrence is displayed for each logged diagnostic code.
- The definition for each logged diagnostic code and each event is displayed.
- Load new FLASH software.
- Active diagnostic codes
- Logged diagnostic codes
See Troubleshooting, "Diagnostic Code List" for the list of diagnostic codes that can be activated by the Machine ECM.
Logged Event Codes
Typical Cat ET screen for logged events
An indicator for logged events is provided. The indicator allows the service technician to track event codes that are intermittent. The data for the logged event will include the following information:
- An event identifier (EID)
- A text description of the problem
- The number of occurrences of the problem
- A time stamp will display the first occurrence of the problem.
- A time stamp will display the last occurrence of the problem.
The Status groups list the machine parameters. The status of the parameters is shown in real time.
Typical Cat ET Status Screen
Diagnostic codes may be accessed through the Operator Monitor display. Refer to Troubleshooting, "Using the Operator Monitor to Determine Diagnostic Codes" in this manual.